Back to the results

Perspective de Maintenon trail

    Along this walk you will get acquainted with the royal history of the forest and its relationship with the palace. Gaining elevation in the heart of the forest, it offers a beautiful view of Fontainebleau from the top of the Petit Mont Chauvet hill.
      Photo credits : Claire Tenu - ONF
      Parking de la Maison forestière de Maintenon ou Parking de l'allée de Maintenon
      77300 Fontainebleau
      L’avenue de Maintenon: this forest road goes from the Maintenon gate to the hill called Petit Mont Chauvet. Once named Causeway Alley, Mail Henri IV or Alley of Elms, it was the setting of solemn entries, such as that of Charles the Fifth of Spain in 1539, and was a place for walks and games as well. The Maintenon gate was for a long time the main access to the palace. It was the departure point of royal stag hunting.

      Le petit Mont Chauvet: formerly bare or « chauvet », this small limestone “mount”
      was the location of the artillery batteries of the Applied School of Artillery after 1870. It is nowadays classified as a Managed Biological Reserve, as it is home to vegetation groups and numerous scarce and protected plants such as an endemic tree: the “French Hales” also known as


      Free access.

      Confort and services

      • Spoken languages :
        • French
      • Level bue - Medium
      • Jogger

      Opening periods

      All year round.