Retour aux résultats

Gorges de Franchard trail

    From the George Sand oak to the Eye of Nations, this trail will give you a good
    overall view of the main landscapes of the magnificent forest of Fontainebleau;
    a landscape of moors and boulders, and high oak groves.
      Crédits photos : Claire Tenu - ONFGorges de Franchard
      D 301 Parking des Gorges de Franchard
      77300 Fontainebleau
      The Franchard hermitage: a first hermitage was built in the 12th century. It was largely destroyed during the Hundred Years War (1337-1453). Rebuilt in 1676, it was abandoned for good in 1717 by royal order, because of insecurity at the place. A forest guard station was built on its ruins under the reign of King Louis-Philippe (1830-1848).

      The Eye of Nations: this monument can be seen on the ground, and symbolizes the vigilant watch of the nations over the planet environment. It was inaugurated in 1998 for the 50th anniversary of the International Union for the Conservation of Nature (IUCN), created in Fontainebleau in 1948. The heart of a Fontainebleau oak was ringed with bronze and embedded in the middle of a cast iron plate on which the names of all signatory countries appear. These countries pledged their intent to protect certain areas reserved on purpose for conservation.


      Free access.

      Prestations, conforts et services

      • Langues parlées :
        • French
      • Car park
      • Level bue - Medium

      Périodes d'ouverture

      All year round.

      Twitter-X-White-Logo-PNG copie