Towns

FONTAINEBLEAU
A town between château and forest where it is a pleasure to live.

Fontainebleau has offered for centuries a multitude of cultural and sporting leisure activities.
A town Center with a thousand facets; Best Workers in France in multiple domains; an international reputation thanks to its heritage; its forest and its horses.

A royal town, with a historic heritage. With its Château, its squares and its sumptuous theater, Fontainebleau is a both place to visit, and an illuminating cultural experience. Its forest and Park make it the dream destination for walkers, hikers and climbing enthusiasts. Discover also its courts during your visit, and the history of its streets.

With its magnificent « Grand Parquet » site, and the hippodrome of la Solle, Fontainbleau has made itself the Horse Capital of the world and hosts internationally-reputed events with participants from across the entire equestrian world.

Contact Information :

Adress : 40, rue Grande - 773000 Fontainebleau
Tel : 01 60 74 64 64 - Fax : 01 64 23 40 09
E-mail : mairie@fontainebleau.fr -Site : www.fontainebleau.fr

fontainebleau centre ville - place franklin roosevelt 320x200  
place napolon bonaparte - fontainebleau    place descamps  fontainebleau

The towns's coat of arms

blason de fontainebleau

Napoléon III, in a decree dated the 25th of June 1864, gave to the Palace of Saint-Cloud (and the 20th of August of the same year, gifted to the town of Fontainebleau) the following coat of arms, which they were authorized to use as specified and described.

Description of the coats of arms :
In three tiers:
In first, or, with a sable eagle, and a tiers sinister azure a gold N surmounted by a shining five-pointed star
In second : azure, a silver river ondulant,
In third : argent, a salamander gules couchant in flames.

 

The shield is surmounted by a walled crown with five gated towers as points. On the band of the crown a mirror-doubled gold F. The band of the crown is run though dexter to sinister with a caduceus argent from which two wreaths argent are hung (dexter: olive. Sinister; oak). Bound and attached with azure ribbons.

This minutley detailed descriptions has several interesting aspects. We can see that the Heralds of the Second Empire retained some details of the royal coat of arms , notably the salamander, and the doubled “F”, here in the curious form of a crossed “T”.

It is interesting to note that this coat of arms places Fontainebleau under the astrological influence of Saturn, in the House of Aquarius. Mythologically, Aquarius is linked to the Grand Flood and symbolically Saturn was named the «Ancient of Days ». The corresponding elements in the vegetable kingdom are the oak and the olive tree which make up the wreaths in the coat of arms.

Capital of the history of France

chateau

ONLY FONTAINEBLEAU CAN CLAIM SUCH A TITLE

Truly no other Royal Château in France can boast of having welcomed 34 sovereigns from Louis the Fat to Napoleon III. All the French sovereigns came to Fontainebleau. Autumn was the hunting season, and the regular gathering of the Court. Thus this domain can be considered to be their family home.



Napoléon said it best : « This is the true home of Kings, the House of the Centuries », when talking on Saint Helena about the places he loved the most.
Situated on the edge of the Brie Plateau and close to Paris, which the Capetians made their capital, the forest of Fontainebleau has always been highly-reputed as an exceptional hunting ground. Here the sovereigns cultivated the art of hunting with hounds, a tradition continued to this day.

The very name of Fontainebleau itself is linked to hunting since the legend of the Beautiful Water Fountain (« Fontaine-Belle-Eau » or the « Fontaine-Bliaut ») was probably the name of the owner of a dog (or the dog itself) that discovered it during a hunt. It was near this fountain, in a clearing in the heart of the forest, that an initial hunting lodge was built at an unknown date. But it must have been before 1137 since a charter from King Louis VII is dated thus at Fontainebleau. The Kings swiftly installed their new manors: Philippe Auguste, Saint-Louis and even Philippe Le Bel who was born there in 1268 and died there after a fall from a horse. But it was under François the First that Fontainebleau grew into its full measure and glory as a Royal Palace.

Shops & Shopping

FONTAINEBLEAU SHOPS AND SHOPPING
Is also a strongly dynamic town with more the 400 commerces.

All along your path through the town where it is a pleasure to live, you will discover : the charm and quality of our commerces, the sweetness of our restaurant and café terraces , our welcome and know-how, the merry-go-round so beloved by our children,and our many parks and gardens in which you can wander tranquilly and let your children run free. Don't hesitate to ask our Tourism Office (Office de Tourisme) for our best addresses.

Tel : 06 85 78 58 49
Mail : union des commerçants de Fontainebleau
website : www.fontainebleaushopping.com

placerooseveltsite   rue des 3 maillets    ville fontainebleau

The market

THE MARKET OF FONTAINEBLEAU

In the heart of the town, behind the Saint-Louis church, the Fontainebleau marketplace is a convivial meeting which takes place three times per week tuesdays, fridays from 7:30 AM to 12:30 PM and sundays up to 1:30 PM.

For the pleasure of the senses : rich in colours and appetising odours, the covered food market offers products from the four corners of the region. Surrounding the market you can find shoe merchants, haberdashers, jewelers, furniture shops, chair-rushers, second-hand clothes dealers

This is a must-see during your stay in Fontianebleau, and was voted « Exceptional » in 1996 by the National Council of Culinary Arts (Conseil National des Arts Culinaires).

le march de fontainebleau    2le march  fontauinebleau    1le march  fontainebleau

The origins of some street names

quartier piton - rue des sablons  fontainebleau THE STREETS OF FONTAINEBLEAU



In many cases, tourists and even the inhabitants of Fontainebleau are unaware of the true origins of names of the town's streets.
Here are a few points of interest about local history.


Impasse de l’Aqueduc (Aqueduct Impass) : this called because of its proximity to the François the First Aqueduct which feeds the water-features of the Palace.

Rue de l’Arbre-Sec (Dry-Tree Road) : a name from the XVIIth century previously known as the Rue de Guébriant.

Rue Auguste- Barbier : this poet (1805-1882), author of the « Lambes », and who lived in Fontainebleau.

Rue Béranger : the famous songwriter (1780-1857) lived here.

Rue Carnot : Sadi Carnot (1835-1894), President of the Republic, stayed in the Château several times.

Rue de la Chancellerie (Chancellory road) : a town-house of the same name was found here in olden times. Previously known as : rue des Serruriers (Locksmith’s Road), rue de l’Egout (Sewer Road) and place des Fossés (Ditch Place).

Rue Comairas : Comairas-Jaquotot, a painter who lived in Fontainebleau and died here in 1875. He founded the drawing school which still bears his name.

Rue du Coq-Gris (Grey Cockerel Road) : a name from the XVIIth century.

Rue de la Corne (Horn Road): a name drawn from ""l’Hôtel de la Corne du Cerf"" (Stag’s Horn House) (XVIIth century).

Rue de la Coudre : previously the land and town-house named after Jacques de la Coudre, a gentleman of the Court (1550).

Rue Rosa-Bonheur : this artist was one of the most admired painters of the Second Empire, and lived for thirty years in By-Thomery until her death.

Rue du Sylvain-Colinet : Charles Colinet (1839-1905), Principal Director of Bridges and Roads, and the successor to Denecourt. He establish 150km of walking paths.

Fontainebleau's Specialties

1. fromage le fontainebleau

COME AND DISCOVER OUR SPECIALTIES



The Fontainebleau, the Rochers Bellifontains, the Pavé de la Cour des Adieux (the Court of Goodbye’s Cobble), the Bonbon Chassebleau, the Petit Caporal, the Rocher d'Avon and the Caille Fontainebleau.


The Fontainebleau

This cheese is based on fresh cream. It is airy and vaporous, enveloped in a muslin cloth.
On sale : Barthélemy Fromage : 92, rue Grande in Fontainebleau - Tel : 01 64 22 21 64
And La Ferme des Sablons : 19, rue des Sablons in Fontainebleau - Tel : 01 64 22 67 25

The Rocher Bellifontain (The Bellifontain Rock)

A chocolate bonbon in three varieties : Dark, milk and white with almonds, puffed rice, and dried fruit.
On sale : at the Boulangerie-Pâtisserie ""F. CASSEL"" chocolatier - 71, rue Grande in Fontainebleau 
Tel : 01 64 22 29 59

Pavé de la Cour des Adieux (the Court of Goodbye’s Cobble)

An amusing confection of fruits with almond paste.
On sale : at the Boulangerie-Pâtisserie ""The Fournil"" - 27, rue Grande in Fontainebleau - Tel : 01 64 22 25 82

The Chassebleau bonbon

Bonbon stuffed with chasselas grapes
On sale : from Neuville - 2, rue des Bouchers / Quartier piéton (Pedestrian Quarter) des Sablons
Tel : 01 64 22 13 59

The Petit Caporal (The Little Corporal)

A chocolate Bonbon of Napoleon’s hat.
On sale : at the Boulangerie-Pâtisserie ""Au Rocher d’Avon"" : 29 bis, avenue Franklin Roosevelt in Avon 
Tel : 01 64 22 13 75

The Rocher d'Avon (The Rock of Avon)

A specialty cake and chocolate bonbon.
On sale : at the Boulangerie-Pâtisserie ""Au Rocher d’Avon""
29 bis, avenue Franklin Roosevelt in Avon - Tel : 01 64 22 13 75

The caille de Fontainebleau (Fontainebleau Quail)

With chasselas grapes and mushrooms, garnished with a tagliatelli of carrots and courgettes.

To visit the town

Download for free the audio tour at zevisit.com and set off to discover the « Royal and Imperial town ». While passing through the Town Centre, the streets and squares, the old buildings, of the administration and the Royal Army, the princes mansions, the peoples quarter and the villas of the Second Empire will all tell you of the daily life in Fontainebleau in olden times.

27 steps to help you get to know Fontainebleau bette :
1. Introduction / 2. Quartier Boufflers / 3. Fontainebleau, capitale du cheval / 4. Ancien Hôtel des gardes du corps de Louis XIV / 5. Rue de France / 6. L'auberge de l'âne vert / 7. Rue des Sablons / 8. Ruelles de Fontainebleau / 9. Hôtel des quatre secrétaires / 10. Le Marché /11. Musée d'Art et d'Histoire Militaire / 12. Le temple de Fontainebleau / 13. Musée des prisons / 14. Place de l'Etape aux vins / 15. Maison des compagnons et pavés du roi / 16. L'hôtel des Menus Plaisirs du roi / 17. Eglise Saint Louis / 18. Hôtel de ville / 19. Château d'eau / 20. Le domaine royal / 21. Rue du coq gris /22. Place Napoléon Bonaparte / 23. Hôtel de l'Aigle Noir / 24. Théâtre Municipal / 25. Place du Général de Gaulle / 26. Hôtel de Ferrare / 27. Hôtel de Guise.

Download the Audio Guide

htel de laigle noir - fontainebleau   
le chteau deau - fontainebleau    place de letape aux vins -fontainebleau

separation-ombre
 

AVON  
In the heart of Fontainebleau's forest

Merely 60 km from Paris, nestling like Fontainebleau in the heart of the State forest , the town of Avon - once a rural community - underwent in the decades after the 60s an expansion similar to those in many communities in the Ile-de-France region.

The growth of its population, the presence of the NATO military and the founding of faculties of higher education and of the headquarters of many businesses brought about the growth of the real estate market, the improvement of the public transport networks and the construction of sporting and educational facilities. The urban zone, limited by the forest, has above all expanded into the old market garden space and the land of private owners. Merely 60 km from Paris, nestling like Fontainebleau in the heart of the State forest , the town of Avon - once a rural community - underwent in the decades after the 60s an expansion similar to those in many communities in the Ile-de-France region.

viaduc  maison dans la valle avon      eglise st-pierre avon      pavillon erable avon


Contact information :

Adress : 8, rue Père Maurice - 77210 Avon Cedex
Phone number : 01 60 71 20 00 - Fax : 01 60 71 20 70
E-mail : mairie@avon77.com - Website : www.avon77.com

Avon yesterday to today

AVON YESTERDAY

The etymology of Avon comes from the Celtic word “avo” meaning water, hearkening back to its far-off past. Avon, on the left bank of the Seine, is the birthing place of Fontainebleau under Louis XIV.
Louis XIII in the 11th century chapel, the cradle of an intense spiritual life that continues to this day in the Convent of Carmes so beloved of Louis Malle. Having begun his studies in the «little school » directed by father Jacques, he came back to shoot his film « Goodbye, children» (Au revoir les enfants). Father Jacques, and the Mayor of the time (Remy Dumoncel), were the leading lights of the local Resistance.

Strongly tied to the Fontainebleau built around it, Avon underwent a different manner of urbanization up to 1960, maintaining its rural market nature and the « villages » of Old Avon (Vieil Avon) , from Montceau, Changis, Les Basses Loges, to Valvins…

The community contains some sites of exceptional historical significance, such as : the Basses Loges Priory (le Prieuré des Basses Loges) where Gurdjieff and K. Mansfield stayed; the Convent of Carmes; the domaine of Bel Ebat - torchbearer of French music; and above all the 11th century Church of Saint Peter (l’Église Saint-Pierre) site of the Royal Parish until 1661. And let us not forget the railway viaduct built in 1847 and inaugurated by Napoléon III in 1852. Since then, the town has grown and modernized, whilst still maintaining its dazzlingly green environment and its architectural heritage.


AVON TODAY


The town of 15 000 inhabitants is now part of the Community of Communities of Fontainebleau, and can point with pride to its perfect integration into the heart of tourism in the region.

tramways lectriques de fontainebleau-avon en 1953   gare 320x200    eglise davon de nuit

Bel Ebat

LE PAVILLON DE L'ERABLE - Located in the Park Bel Ebat
The flag of the Maple resumed since 1998 with its original purpose as an artist workshop and hosts from September to June, French and foreign visual artists to very eclectic exhibitions that address the most diverse forms of expressions, traditional to unexpected. Discussion meetings with artists - Workshops - Entertainment. Opportunity to welcome groups for guided tour upon request.
The hours: Wednesday from 15h to 19h and on weekends from 14:30 to 19h.

THE PARK OF BEL EBAT
Is open to the public all year round

October 1 to May 31, from 8 to 19h / From June 1st to September 30th from 8am to 21h

SPORTING TRAIL in the Bel Ebat park
The commune, as part of its improvement program, has decided to create a sporting trail integrated into countryside around the Bel Ebat domain.
You can test yourself along the 1200m-long sporting trail, with its eight modules.

Adress :
Rue du Vieux Ru – 77210 Avon
Tel : 01 60 74 80 58 (Exhibition gallery) / Tel : 01 60 74 91 30 (Office)
Fax : 01 60 72 19 92
Website : www.avon77.com

pavillon de lerable  avon   pavillon erable - avon   parc bel ebat  avon

 



The cemetery

le cimetire davon 320x200


THE CEMETERY


Avon 's cemetery is the burial place of many figures who left their mark on history.



Among them, Katherine Mansfield, the New Zealand writer and poet who settled in Avon and died here on January 9, 1923, and George Ivanovitch Gurdjieff (1877-1949), founder the Institute for the Harmonic Development of Man.

THE CEMETERY : 

Is open from November 2 to February  29 from 8 am to 17h and from March 1 to November 1 from 8 to 19h is.
Adress : rue du Souvenir - 77210 Avon  


The Church of Saint-Pierre

In the sidestreets of Avon, discover or rediscover the Church of Saint Peter of Avon (l’Eglise Saint-Pierre d’Avon). This religious edifice is one of the most ancient in the region. It's construction began circa 1100. A parish church that became a Royal church when the Kings of France who paused at this modest hunting waypoint known as the ""beautiful water fountain"" (from la Fontaine belle eau), stayed to hear the Mass in Avon. The sturdy bell-tower dates from the XIIIth century.

The church has an impressive collection of tombstones, including that of Jean de Monaldeschi, the squire of Queen Christine of Suède, assassinated by her command in the Stag Gallery of the Château.

Adress : Rue du Père Maurice – 77210 Avon

1.eglise saint-pierre  avon    eglise st-pierre avon    3.eglise saint-pierre  avon

The convent of Carmes

Opposite the Church , the current Covent of Carmes occupies an old Hospital founded in 1662 by Anne of Austria, enlarged by Louis XIV, then Louis XVI. Today the Carmelites welcome the secular wishing to withdraw from the world for a few days and recover in a haven of peace and prayer.

The Convent of Carmes was previously called ""The Charity of Avon"", and was built on land with a water-mill. Louis XIV - encouraged by his Queen Anne of Austria – acquired it and donated it to brother Saint-Jean de Dieu, for the construction of a hospital, with the revenues from the water-mill to cover its expenses. The hospital grew progressively until the Revolution, notably thanks to the generosity of Louis XVI and Marie-Antoinette. 1792 brought the downfall of the establishment, and the Directorate pronounced its dissolution in 1796. After several reverses, the Charity of Avon was ceded to the Rédemptoristes (Redeemers) in 1860, who made it into a mission house. It returned to its function of a Carmelite Convent after they were expelled in 1920. During the Second World War the Carmelites served honorably with the intervention of Father Jacques to save Jewish children. The episode was reprised by the filmmaker Louis Malle in his film ""Goodbye, children"" (Au revoir les enfants).

Adress : 1, rue Père Jacques
Tel : 01 60 72 28 03 (community)
Tel : 01 60 72 28 45 (Spiritual Centre)
Fax : 01 64 23 48 39
E-Mail :carmes.avon@wanadoo.fr
Website : http://www.carmel.asso.fr/Carmes-d-Avon.html

1.couvent des carmes  avon     couvent des carmes  avon      le couvent des carmes  avon

 

Discovery tour Avon

CITY OF AVON PRESENTS
Unusua l: Avon ... under the sign of water

To discover or rediscover old stone modernity : alleys, St. Peter's, the parish registers, the Convent of the Carmelite Priory Basses Loges, the viaduct church through the streets, the STEP Manor Bel Ebat the Maple Pavilion.

Download the track here

le prieur des basses loges     le viaduc  avon     ruelle davon

Maison dans la vallée

Located in the heart of the city on the edge of Old Avon and contemporary Butte Montceau Ferns and neighborhoods in the Valley House built in 1983 is a place of encounter and exchange for all. Vast complex cultural vocation, it houses an auditorium with 400 seats, and multipurpose spaces, exhibitions and entertainment.

An eclectic cultural program (dance, music, song, comedy, theater, circus, conferences, exhibitions ...) accompanied by major events (week of dance, lounge Anglo-Saxon, meeting authors, holiday season .. .) is the house in the Valley one of the main centers of distribution and cultural activities South Seine et Marne.

Adress : 1, rue Lola Dommange - 77210 Avon
Tel : 01 60 74 91 30 / Fax : 01 60 72 19 92
WebSite : www.avon77.com

1.maison dans la vall  avon    maison dans la vall  avon    salle maison dans la valle  avon 

To visit the town : audio-guided visits

Avon, the cradle of French Music. Avon, between Art and Nature , its town, the domain of Bel Ebat and the Priory of Les Basses Loges (le Prieuré des Basses Loges). Download for free the audio guide in MP3 format and set off to discover the tourist heritage of the town of Avon, thanks to its Audio-guide visits.

The 11 stages of the tour, you will discove :

00. Introduction / 01. The Church of Saint Peter of Avon - Exterior(L'église Saint-Pierre d'Avon - Extérieur)
02.The Church of Saint Peter of Avon - Interior(L'église Saint-Pierre d'Avon - Intérieure)
03. The Convent of Carmes (Couvent des Carmes) / 04. The sidestreet (La ruelle) / 05. Rue Rémy Dumoncel
06. Cemetery (Cimetière) / 07. The Domain of Bel Ebat (Domaine de Bel Ebat) / 08. The Manor of the domain of Bel Ebat (Le manoir du domaine from Bel Ebat) / 09. The Priory of Les Basses Loges (Le Prieuré des Basses Loges) / 10. The Savoy (Le Savoy)

download the audio guide here

parc de bel ebat  avon    eglise davon - intrieur    bel ebat  avon

separation-ombre